My Photo

Ordering Information

Tomi on Twitter is @tomiahonen

  • Follow Tomi on Twitter as @tomiahonen
    Follow Tomi's Twitterfloods on all matters mobile, tech and media. Tomi has over 8,000 followers and was rated by Forbes as the most influential writer on mobile related topics

Book Tomi T Ahonen to Speak at Your Event

  • Contact Tomi T Ahonen for Speaking and Consulting Events
    Please write email to tomi (at) tomiahonen (dot) com and indicate "Speaking Event" or "Consulting Work" or "Expert Witness" or whatever type of work you would like to offer. Tomi works regularly on all continents

Tomi on Video including his TED Talk

  • Tomi on Video including his TED Talk
    See Tomi on video from several recent keynote presentations and interviews, including his TED Talk in Hong Kong about Augmented Reality as the 8th Mass Media

Subscribe


Blog powered by Typepad

« Samsung Shock Number is Official from Investor Relations | Main | Camera Stats: World has 5.8B Cameras by 4B Unique Camera Owners: 89% of camera owners use a cameraphone to take pictures; This year first time 1 Trillion pictures are taken »

August 01, 2014

Comments

RottenApple

Microsoft sure knows how to generate satisfied customers...

Of course I can understand why they may stop development - the platform is basically dead - but why they decided to entirely kill it - I don't get. Or is WP7 so grossly insufficient that they need to throw the kill switch because otherwise it'd block development for the other, far more important platforms?

RottenApple

@ExNokian:

It's a proven fact that any crap can find supporters, so it's hardly a surprise that some people actually like WP.
It's also a fact that WP got most of its sales in the low price segment and everybody knows that many customers of this segment look for price first, quality second. There's also very little customer retention here, those people buy whatever they may get cheap next time. They also may use their phones for far longer than those 'magic' 18 months.

The main problem of the platform still stands: It's not commercially viable. As a software developer I got first hand experience of that myself:

- it causes far more work than Android and iOS combined (thanks to not supporting OpenGL and a few other design decisions that make it necessary to use system specific code instead of platform independent code that works fine on both iOS and Android - even when using some middleware!)
- app sales are sub par. My employer sells some casual games based on a popular local gaming brand, which make good business on both Android and iOS, and even on Mac - but all the Windows versions - phones and WinRT - that's the ones most time was invested in, still haven't made back half of their cost after being on the market for 9 months now - the other platforms did so after 2!

So guess what: For our upcoming project, WP has become ultra-low priority - I got precisely one week allocated to port the iOS/Android code to it - and should I find out that it's not possible - scrap it.

So there's some truth behind 'no one wants a Windows Phone!' - of course a better catchphrase would be 'no one NEEDS a Windows Phone' ;)

Spawn

@ExNokian

> 9-12% market share.
> For a year now.

No, its below 3% and falling. Game over.

http://bgr.com/2014/07/01/windows-phone-market-share-3/

> Nielsen

Please give your source. My assumption is you are referring to a years-old report about WP7, correct?

> Windows Phone market share in France actually GREW ... YoY

Yeah, the french guy who bought one device last year bought two this year. Thats YoY GROW by 100%!!!!

p.s. give your source.

> WP apps and their low payoff I have to agree. The advertisement system in WP

Its more that there are to less customers (market share) who buy to less apps (most WP devices sold are low end) what gives to less payoff for investment what results in decreased investment what results in lesser customers what ...

chithanh

Spawn:
It is actually true that in some countries, the Windows Phone marketshare reached double digits and sometimes even outsold the iPhone. You can check the Kantar website for data.

However, the 3% global marketshare means that for every country where WP has 10% share, there must be three more equally sized countries with less than 1% share.

10%+ share for one country is often cited by WP proponents to support their arguments. It is not really relevant outside their small bubble.

AndThisWillBeToo

@duke
Your caps-filled comment doesn't seem to really relate to any of the previous comments. I count it as trolling more than any of the other comments here.
(my 2 cents)

AndThisWillBeToo

@duke
You _completely_ missed my point. Let me rephrase it:
Of all previous comments, none seems to be promoting Windows Phone. At best people are telling that some market has xx% which doesn't mean anything in global perspective.
I checked.
But you do have three comments where you are "annoying the trolls" by repeating the same sentence.

Only troll-like comments here seems to be from you, no?

RottenApple

Well, sorry, Duke.

I may agree with your signature phrase but that still doesn't change the fact that you act like a troll who isn't interested in the discussion at all.

John Phamlore

Nokia should buy back what seems to have originated from its celluar baseband business from Broadcom.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2014/02/28/broadcoms-basebands-lenovos-phones-nvidias-tegra-tablet-at-mobile-world/

"... company’s [Broadcom's] baseband processor operations, which it acquired from Japanese firm Renesas Electronics in October. Remember that this operation used to be the internal baseband business of Nokia (NOK), which at one time, as Rango points out, powered half the phones in the world, at Nokia’s peak."

Broadcom might be willing to sell it very cheap since they are exiting the celluar baseband business:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/02/us-broadcom-divestiture-idUSKBN0ED11720140602

"Chipmaker Broadcom Corp said it was looking to exit its cellular baseband business, and forecast current-quarter margins to beat or be at the high end of its estimate.
...
Broadcom on Monday said it would sell or wind down the business as soon as it could, saving some $700 million annually."

Nokia needs this IP because its competitor Ericsson has it.

AndThisWillBeToo

@John Phamlore
"Nokia needs this IP because its competitor Ericsson has it."

I fail to see your point. Nokia sold that business to Renesas in summer 2009. How come this has not been a problem during last 5 years?

The comments to this entry are closed.

Available for Consulting and Speakerships

  • Available for Consulting & Speaking
    Tomi Ahonen is a bestselling author whose twelve books on mobile have already been referenced in over 100 books by his peers. Rated the most influential expert in mobile by Forbes in December 2011, Tomi speaks regularly at conferences doing about 20 public speakerships annually. With over 250 public speaking engagements, Tomi been seen by a cumulative audience of over 100,000 people on all six inhabited continents. The former Nokia executive has run a consulting practise on digital convergence, interactive media, engagement marketing, high tech and next generation mobile. Tomi is currently based out of Helsinki but supports Fortune 500 sized companies across the globe. His reference client list includes Axiata, Bank of America, BBC, BNP Paribas, China Mobile, Emap, Ericsson, Google, Hewlett-Packard, HSBC, IBM, Intel, LG, MTS, Nokia, NTT DoCoMo, Ogilvy, Orange, RIM, Sanomamedia, Telenor, TeliaSonera, Three, Tigo, Vodafone, etc. To see his full bio and his books, visit www.tomiahonen.com Tomi Ahonen lectures at Oxford University's short courses on next generation mobile and digital convergence. Follow him on Twitter as @tomiahonen. Tomi also has a Facebook and Linked In page under his own name. He is available for consulting, speaking engagements and as expert witness, please write to tomi (at) tomiahonen (dot) com

Tomi's eBooks on Mobile Pearls

  • Pearls Vol 1: Mobile Advertising
    Tomi's first eBook is 171 pages with 50 case studies of real cases of mobile advertising and marketing in 19 countries on four continents. See this link for the only place where you can order the eBook for download

Tomi Ahonen Almanac 2009

  • Tomi Ahonen Almanac 2009
    A comprehensive statistical review of the total mobile industry, in 171 pages, has 70 tables and charts, and fits on your smartphone to carry in your pocket every day.

Alan's Third Book: No Straight Lines

Tomi's Fave Twitterati